Monday, October 6, 2008

John Nash Lesson #3: Stop Pushing Political agenda on the rest of us. You're not persuasive, you're a douche

John Nash Lesson #3: Stop Pushing Political Agenda on the rest of us. You're not persuasive, you're a douche
I didn't want to do it now. I wanted to explain other helpful methods to make our lives better. However, I just cannot take it anymore. Let me begin this John Nash by introducing a story...

I was sitting at a bonfire the other night, and amongst many heated debates, which is great, but there became the discussion about the election. I didn't have my iPod with me, so unfortunately,  I had to listen to the Palin haters. At one instance someone stated, "I just can't see any rationale behind voting for McCain". Others agreed and then asked me who I was voting for, like I didn't know the correct answer to this question...

I am all about politics, but the question, "Who are you voting for" has become the worst "true-false" question in the world. There is simply no right answer. Sure, I could apply methods of group-think and said that I am voting for Obama. Well is there individuality in that? Do I really support Obama? So what if I said, "I am voting for McCain"? I guarantee you I would be bombarded with misleading statements and questions undermining my decision and the person who I was voting for. Well, screw that, I don't like confrontation about this issue. So what if I said, "I am not voting".

Oh then I would have just opened up Pandora's box with that loaded statement. "You have to vote, it's an american right." or "Don't you know what your doing to the world by not voting"? Yes, but the main thing is this... pay attention... People (with one exception) want people to vote for the candidate that they want. They have no interest in you actually voting as a right, they just want you to vote for their candidate. If I would have said, "I am voting for McCain" then I would have been swarmed with condescending questions and comments. That, my friends, is your proof. If you are not voting for their candidate, people around you could care less about voting.

My colleague and good friend of mine, Alex Bea may have saved my vote this year. In all actuality, I vote on principle. I don't care what dumb thing a candidate said, I don't care about race, or sex, or age, it's irrelevant. I am voting because I want my values to be upheld by the person in office. Now, Alex made an excellent comment about how we do not have a complaint if we do not cast a vote. Which is true, if i complain about the president, and I don't vote, I have no voice. However, the difference in Alex vs. about 98% of the population is that I have never seen eye-to-eye with my colleague. However, he has never attacked my values, never said my reasoning was dumb, and never questioned who I voted for. He has been up for debate and was open-ended about the choice I made. That is a real relief

Heaven forbid you say, "I am unsure who I'm voting for". Then the political nazi's will parachute from the skies with pamphlets and buttons, and then explain how great their candidate is. You know what? Get that out of our face, If someone wants to vote and is receptive to your call, then that's fine. However, if someone says they are unsure and does not want to hear pitches, then respect it, and change the topic.

So there is a lesson for people. Don't tell me who to vote for, and honestly, don't make you political views so transparent that people will not want to participate. We all have strong opinions about certain things. However, if we express those strong opinions right off the bat, an introverted person will have no reason to speak up. Who knows? that introvert may have had something really interesting and eclectic, and now they never had that chance to speak up. If you do this, and don't allow others to openly express their political beliefs, you are, and forever will be, a douche.

In essence, shut up about what you saw on YouTube, or the really good point you saw on CNN or Fox News. Get your information from a variety of sources and never just trust one (believe me). Keep your mind open about different things in life. If you are not willing to do that, then you are cutting off the communication process, and that is disrespectful to others. Be respectful of the voting process. It is a wonderful right. The right to vote for whom ever YOU choose. 

John Nash lessons, helping for a better... or at least more tolerable tomorrow...

1 comment:

Alex said...

fuck 'em. a functioning democracy is bigger than any one election. i'm glad that my ranting might have helped.